Advanced Ankle Sprain Treatment in Our Ennis TX Office
Keeping Your Ankles Pain Free With the Help of Our Podiatrists
Ankle sprains are an extremely common injury treated at the Ennis location of Family Foot & Ankle Centers. This is the most common sports injury, regardless of age. An ankle sprain occurs when the ligaments that support the ankle are stretched beyond their limits.
The severity of an ankle sprain depends on how many ligaments were damaged and whether the ligaments were strained or torn. If the pain from a sprained ankle has not improved after a day or so, it is best to to have it evaluated by one of our foot award winning foot doctors.
Timing is essential when treating a sprained ankle injury. The sooner our podiatrist evaluates your sprain, the sooner you can get back to your life and doing the activities that you love.
Ankle Sprain Symptoms
The most common symptom of an ankle sprain is pain. The discomfort will vary depending on the severity of the injury. Generally speaking, a ligament tear will be more painful than a ligament strain but this is not always the case. Swelling, tenderness to touch, bruising and stiffness are some of the most common symptoms. There is almost always difficulty walking due to discomfort and pain.
When you have an ankle sprain, early treatment is crucial. The Podiatrists at Family Foot & Ankle Centers utilize the most advanced imaging available, right here in Ennis, Texas. Your foot and ankle surgeon may recommend the following treatment options:
- Rest – Resting the ankle is extremely important. Further damage can occur from trying to walk or exercise through the injury. Listen to your body and do not try to push through the pain.
- Ice – Applying an ice pack to the injured ankle for 20-30 minutes every couple of hours helps with both swelling and discomfort
- Compression – An elastic wrap helps to control the swelling and offers a small level of support for the injured ankle
- Elevation – Elevating the leg above the level of the heart helps to reduce swelling and promotes healing
- Physical therapy – Your Ennis foot doctor will start you on a ankle rehab program as soon as possible. Many of these exercises can be performed at home. It is important to keep the ankle limber and strong.
- Medications – Your podiatrist may recommend prescription pain medication or anti-inflammatories to decrease pain and swelling.
Ankle sprains require an accurate and rapid diagnosis. After a thorough evaluation, your Ennis podiatrist will develop a comprehensive treatment plan to get you back to doing the things you love as soon as possible. Professional treatment is critical in reducing the risk of re-injuring the ankle or living with pain.
Get Expert Treatment for Sprains in Ennis, TX, Today!
If you’ve sprained your ankle, schedule an appointment today by calling us at 972-875-3668 or by clicking here to use our convenient online form. During your appointment, our team will be happy to answer all your questions about our treatments, our office, our flexible payment options, and anything else you may want to know about us! Call today – we can’t wait to help you live your life pain-free!
As one of the premier podiatry centers in Ennis, TX, our doctors and team at Family Foot & Ankle Centers also provide 5-star podiatry care to patients from Corsicana, Waxahachie, TX, and surrounding areas.