Best Ingrown Toenail Doctors in Waxahachie, Corsicana & Ennis, TX
The Ingrown Toenail Specialists
Do you or a loved one have a painful ingrown toenail? If yes, you have come to the right place. The podiatrists at Family Foot & Ankle Centers are truly ingrown toenail specialists and have removed over 10,000 ingrown toenails. That is a lot of happy patients.
What is an Ingrown Toenail?
An ingrown toenail occurs when the edge of the toenail grows into the skin. This most commonly happens on the big toenails, but any toe can be affected. An ingrown toenail can get infected. Once the skin is pierced by the toenail, infection may soon follow.
What are the symptoms of an Ingrown Toenail?
The early-stage symptoms of an ingrown toenail are recognized by:
- Tenderness, hardening and even swelling of the skin next to the ingrowing nail.
- Pain on the side of the toenail, especially in shoes.
- Slight swelling on the side of the toe where the toenail pierces the skin.
If the toe gets infected, then you may notice pain, swelling and redness of the skin. Bleeding from the infected site is also common. In severe cases, yellowish fluid (puss) can also ooze out of the infected area.
What causes an ingrown toenail?
An ingrown toenail can have a number of different causes.
- Incorrect toenail trimming- toenails should be cut straight across and not too short.
- Genetics- ingrown toenails can run in families.
- Tight shoes- pressure from shoes push the edge of the skin into the toenail.
- Trauma- you can get an ingrown toenail if you hurt your toe. Dropping something on the toe or stubbing it can impact the nail.
- Poor pedicurist- don’t let a pedicurist dig at your toenail. They are not doctors. We have literally treated hundreds of infected ingrown toenails from nail salons. Your pedicure should be comfortable and enjoyable. If your pedicure is painful, tell them to STOP and find another salon.
What are some home treatments?
You can try the following steps at home to relieve the pain caused by your ingrown toenail and help it grow out. If you have diabetes or poor circulation do not attempt home treatment but call your podiatrist:
- Soak your sore toe in warm water mixed in Epson salt for 15 minutes 2 to 3 times each day.
- Wedge cotton ball, under the ingrown corner of your nail to help lift the nail off of the skin as it grows out.
- Apply topical antibiotic, such as polysporin, to the affected area and wear a loose fitting, clean sock
- Avoid digging into the toe. Ingrown toenails easily become infected.
- Wear soft, loose, comfortable shoes or sandals to avoid pressure on your toe.
Use these home treatment steps for 3 days. If they do not help, you might need to see your doctor. Be sure to see a doctor if your toe gets infected. Your toe might be infected if it hurts more than it did before you tried the home treatment. Call your doctor if your toe is red, warm, swollen, or drains pus, or if there are red streaks leading from your toe.
How does the foot doctor treat an ingrown toenail?
The foot specialists at Family Foot & Ankle Centers are your ingrown toenail experts. After making sure your toe is numb, the painful ingrown toenail border is painlessly removed. In just a few minutes the procedure is done and you are walking out the office door. Remember, we have performed over 10,000 ingrown procedures. That is a lot of toes!
If you have a history of ingrowing toenails, your foot doctor may apply a Q-tip with a mild acid where the nail was removed. This stops the root from making the corner of the nail that grows into the skin. What a great procedure!
Experience Our Award-Winning Care for an Ingrown Toenails in Waxahachie, Corsicana & Ennis, TX Today!
Schedule an appointment today by calling us at 972-597-4132 or by clicking here to use our convenient online form. We offer same-day appointments and have bilingual Spanish-speaking professionals on staff for your convenience. During your appointment, our team will be happy to answer all your questions about our treatments, our office, our flexible payment options, and anything else you may want to know about us! Call today – we can’t wait to help you live your life pain-free!
As the premier podiatry centers in Waxahachie, Corsicana and Ennis, TX, our foot doctors and team at Family Foot & Ankle Centers also provide 5-star podiatry care to patients in our surrounding areas. We proudly serve patients in Navarro and Ellis counties and surrounding areas including Red Oak, Midlothian, Desoto, Cedar Hill, Lancaster, Duncanville, Arlington and Mansfield. The Foot Specialists at Family Foot & Ankle Centers are improving lives one foot at a time.