Award-Winning Bunion Treatment in Ennis TX
Enjoy Relief From Painful Bunions In Ennis Texas
A bunion is a bony bump at the base of the big toe. Some people are more likely to develop bunions, and the condition can be exacerbated by wearing the wrong types of shoes, which is especially true if you’re a woman. Fortunately, this condition is very common and somewhat easy to treat, so if you’re seeking exceptional care – and relief – from bunions in Ennis, TX, Family Foot & Ankle Centers can help you get better!
Treatment for Bunions
Your symptoms might include pain in the joint, redness, swelling, and a callus where your bunion is. Our goal is to get your feet back to being healthy and pain-free. Treatment options for bunions will vary based on how severe your bunions are, but even in cases that aren’t severe, bunions can be very painful. Some of our foot specialist recommended treatments for bunions include:
- Resting your feet- This relieves pressure from the joint
- Custom orthotics- A custom orthotic (shoe insert) is a effective tool to minimize the pressure from the bunion
- Wearing shoes with a wide toe box- This reduces friction on the bunion. Speak to a podiatrist at Family Foot & Ankle Centers for a list of recommended shoes.
- Icing the affected area temporarily decreases inflammation and pain associated with bunions
- Devices such as a bunion splint
- Anti-inflammatory medication such as Motrin or Naproxen to decrease pain and inflammation
- Cortisone injections (Steroid injections)- Decreases inflammation and often improves motion at the bunion joint
- Surgical treatment- On occasion, surgery is the best option to fix a bunion deformity. The foot doctors at Family Foot & Ankle Centers are trained in all aspects and techniques of bunion surgery.
Of course, it’s always best to develop a custom treatment plan for your bunions based on your unique situation and needs from one of our foot specialists. It’s important that our podiatrists at Family Foot & Ankle Centers take the time to get to know your feet and your unique condition so that we can come up with the best possible treatment plan together.
Our Ennis podiatrists can also help with your tailor’s bunion, also known as a bunionette. Similar to a regular bunion, it’s the prominence of the fifth metatarsal bone at the base of the little toe. The metatarsals are the five long bones of the foot. The prominence that characterizes a tailor’s bunion occurs at the metatarsal “head,” located at the far end of the bone where it meets the toe. The deformity received its name centuries ago when tailors sat cross-legged all day with the outside edge of their feet rubbing on the ground. This constant rubbing led to a painful bump at the base of the little toe.
Diagnosis of a Tailor’s Bunion
Tailor’s bunion is easily diagnosed because the protrusion is visually apparent. X-rays may be ordered to help the foot and ankle surgeon determine the cause and extent of the deformity.
Treatment of Tailor’s Bunion
- Shoe modifications
- Oral medications
- Injection therapy
- Custom orthotics
Experience Our 5-star-rated Treatment for Bunions in Ennis Today!
Schedule an appointment today by calling our Ennis office at 972-875-3668 or by clicking here to use our convenient online form. We also offer some same-day appointments and have bilingual Spanish-speaking professionals on staff. During your appointment, our team will be happy to answer all your questions about our treatments, our office, our flexible payment options, and anything else you may want to know about us! Call today – we can’t wait to help you live your life pain-free!
As one of the premier podiatry centers in Ennis, TX, our doctors and team at Family Foot & Ankle Centers also provide 5-star podiatry care to patients from Corsicana, Waxahachie, TX, and surrounding areas.