Arthritis Pain Treatment By Your Corsicana Podiatrists
Get Arthritis Pain Relief Today in Corsicana
Thanks to our state-of-the-art technology and our podiatrists’ extensive training, you can experience 5-star-rated treatment for foot and ankle arthritis in Corsicana, TX. At Family Foot & Ankle Centers, we utilize advanced imaging to evaluate the bones and joints of the feet and ankles.
There are many different causes of arthritis – the most common found in the feet and ankles are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
What Is Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis, which is also known degenerative arthritis, is by far the most common arthritis found in the feet and ankles. This form of arthritis is characterized by the breakdown of cartilage in the joints of the feet. With the loss of this joint “cushion”, the surrounding tissue becomes inflamed as the bones begin to rub together. When the cartilage deteriorates, symptoms develop such as stiffness, swelling and pain in the affected joints.
Osteoarthritis can impact any joint in the body. In the foot, the big toe is most commonly affected. You may notice a bump at the base of the toe and pain when the big toe bends. At times, the jont may also become red, warm and swollen.
What are the Symptoms of Osteoarthritis?
People with osteoarthritis in the foot or ankle usually experience one or more of the following:
- Pain and stiffness in the joint- You may notice stiffness in the early morning and standing after sitting for prolonged periods. You may have difficult bending the affected joint.
- Swelling in the joint- This can occur at any time but is most noticeable after prolonged activity.
- Difficulty walking- Pain can make exercise, or even walking, difficult due to the pain and stiffness in the joints.
What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that causes your body to mistakenly attack your joints in the same way it would fight off an infection. This causes inflammation in your joints that inhibits your mobility. If not treated, the inflammation can eventually cause the cartilage in your joints to break down, causing significant pain and further inhibiting your mobility.
Rheumatoid arthritis, which afflicts approximately 1.5 million Americans, can affect more than your joints, and it is important that you seek treatment right away if you believe you suffer from this condition.
What Is Post-traumatic Arthritis in Ankles?
If you incurred an injury to your ankle in the past, that injury can cause the cartilage in your joints to wear away. When this happens, the condition is called post-traumatic arthritis. This form of arthritis acts similarly to osteoarthritis.
How Do You Treat Arthritis in the Foot or Ankle?
There are a variety of treatments available for those suffering from arthritis. Our foot doctors will recommend the best options for you based on your specific case. Potential initial treatments may include one or some of the following:
- NSAIDs- OTC medicines such as Alleve and Ibuprofen can help reduce inflammation and stiffness
- Shoe with stiff soles can help decrease motion across painful joints
- Stretching the feet keeps joints limber and reduces stiffness
- Custom orthotics to relieve pressure on the painful joints and helps the feet function properly
- Corticosteroid injections reduce inflammation and can improve stiffness and mobility
- Wearing splints at night to stretch your foot or ankle while you sleep
- Physical therapy to offer pain relief and promote healing
Experience Our Award-Winning Care for Arthritis in Corsicana, TX, Today!
To learn more about our available treatments for arthritis in Corsicana, schedule an appointment today by calling us at 903-872-9910 or by clicking here to use our convenient online form. We also offer some same-day appointments and have bilingual Spanish-speaking professionals on staff. During your appointment, our podiatrist team will be happy to answer all your questions about our treatments, our office, our flexible payment options, and anything else you may want to know about us! Call today – our foot doctors are improving lives one foot at a time.
As the premier podiatry center in Corsicana, TX, our foot doctors and team at Family Foot & Ankle Centers also provide 5-star podiatry care to patients from Waxahachie, Ennis & Mexia, TX, and surrounding areas.